Australia’s Defence Capability
Dr. Alan Dupont AO presented at the above seminar, as part of the Williams Foundation Conference, held on 30Mar23 at the NGA in Canberra. One of the key slides of Alan’s presentation highlighted the ‘problems’ we face while trying to improve our nation’s defences.
- We have no defence industry strategic plan or funding model
that provides a pathway to greater self-reliance.
- Our peace-time acquisition system is slow, rigid and risk averse.
- The ADF is too reliant on overseas suppliers.
- Red tape is strangling defence innovation.
- Australian defence industry has insufficient scale.